Hotel Plaza Colón is a boutique hotel fully owned and operated by Nicaraguans and although it has been in operation for only 10 years, its parent company MONISA (HACCP Certified), has been the region’s number one employer for almost 50 years. An agreement with Rainforest Alliance was signed shortly after the Hotel begun operations; since then, we have worked in the implementation of Rainforest Alliance’s sustainability criteria and now we are Certified by this organization.
Our sustainability policy has always been based on promoting the conservation of the environment and its resources, supporting the well being and development of the local community and providing training and promoting individual’s initiatives among our human resources.
Some examples of our sustainable practices:
- Focus on buying all local produce: The produce used for our breakfasts is all bought locally and fresh. The eggs served are organic and the coffee is Rainforest Alliance Verified.
- Employing local tradesmen: All of our staff are Nicaraguan. The carpenters, electricians, plumbers and workmen hired to do specific jobs are also part of the Granadino community.
- Providing internship opportunities: We receive 2 or 3 interns per year from Escuela Taller de Granada to practice as housekeepers, cooks and servers. We also host internships for Hospitality graduates from different colleges.
- Implementing recycling: All of the plastic, glass, paper, cardboard and aluminum is recycled.
- Executing water and electricity conservation programs: We monitor our water and energy consumption and along executing the conservation programs internally, we encourage our guests to take part in them.
- Supporting community projects: Yo Puedo Leer School, Vida Joven, Casa Lupita, UpNicaragua and Operation Smile.